Omega Fire™ is a single component coating designed to withstand 1200°C (2200°F) direct flame and resist heat transfer to backside.
Omega Fire™ is a blend of eight ceramics, combined together to create a heat block (firewall) that resists heat migration and fire. Omega Fire™ is a water-based coating that dries tough and is designed to withstand temperatures of 1200°C (2200°F) without collapse or failure.
During a fire, the ceramics in Omega Fire™ will cause the sub-surface to harden and block the flame and repel the heat transfer. Because the heat is controlled, the adhesion side of the coating will remain flexible and the coating will not crack or fall off when the structure expands or contracts.
Omega Fire™ is fungus and mildew resistant. It offers a resin blend to form a tight surface. It stops the corrosive effect of moisture and air from penetrating a coated surface.
Omega Fire™ can be applied to any clean, dry interior surfaces that are free of wax, grease and oil. Omega Fire™ can be used on metal, concrete, stucco, plasterboard, wood, plastic and composite surfaces and on ceilings and walls for fire protection.
Omega Fire™ has been tested for fire endurance under UL testing for 165 minutes and ASTM E119 testing for 185+ minutes (over metal plate – test was stopped without failure of coating).
The combination of HPC® and Omega Fire™ gave a result of 7+ hour rating.
This coating has not obtained UL certification as yet, but has performed many of the UL testing profiles to verify its’ capabilities. Adjustments have been made after all the initial testing to perfect its performance, and initial beam testing is scheduled for August 2019.
Some initial testing along the way have given up to 7-hour fire rating performance and passed the NYC 2-hour support beam testing as well as fire protection for shipping containers. Learn More SPI >
|Product Chemistry||Ceramic & water based|
|Volume Solids by Volume||65%|
|VOC Level||76 g/L|
|Dry Time (at 70˚F)||4-6 hours to tack free|
As fire protection for:
- Strategic locations on warfare ships
- Engine rooms and galleys on commercial ships
- Corner beams, elevator shafts, and stairwells
- Walls, ceilings, and boiler rooms
- To control and contain fires in high-rise buildings; prevent the spread and collapse of support structures.
- NYC approval for two hours on support beams
- Additional tests continuing (I beam)
- Over high-rise cladding to prevent fire spread
Omega Fire can be applied to metal, concrete, masonry, and composite surfaces. The application can be by spray or trowel.
- For application by airless, use a Graco TexSpray 2000, with the large tip that comes with the machine
- Apply multiple coats and build up for optimal results
- Never apply this coating when there is a threat of rain on the day of application
- Hopper Gun is good for small jobs
For specific instructions on surface preparation, mixing and application, please refer to the SPI Application Instruction sheet.
NOTE: A prescribed thickness is required for specific temperature and duration of protection. 2-hour protection = 670 mils wet/500 mils dry. Apply in three (3) coats.
Testing and Certifications
- USDA Approved
- Marine Approvals for Salt Water/Maritime Use (renewals pending):
- ABS (American Bureau of Shipping)
- IMO (International Marine Organization)
- Fire Endurance Testing (UL 1709/ASTM E119)-pending UL
- Flame Spread/Smoke (ASTM E84) Class A Fire Rated
Minimum Spread Rates Guidelines
|Product||% solids by volume||Microns DFT||mm DFT||Mils DFT||Spread m2/litre||Spread m2/gal||Spread ft2/gal|
- Apply between 50°F and 150°F
- Store between 40°F and 100°F
- 4 hours to touch
- Re-coat window is 12 hours at 70°F or longer
- Fully cures in twenty-one days
- After completion, spray system should be cleaned with soap and water.
- After completion, trowels can be cleaned with soap and water, stored and reused.
- Solids: By weight: 69.0% By volume: 65.0%
- Dry Time: 4-6 hours to tack free. Overcoat and cure window is according to humidity and temperature.
- Cures by evaporation (water-based) and affected by temperature and humidity
- Weight: 6.19 lbs per gallon
- Vehicle Type: Water-based resin system of acrylic and silicone
- Shelf Life: Up to 6 years unopened under appropriate storage conditions (See MSDS)
- VOC Level: 76 grams/litre (Low)
- Viscosity: 90,000 centipoise
- UV resistant
- Mold and mildew resistant
- Lead and Chromate Free
Do not use this product without first taking all appropriate safety measures to prevent property damage and injuries. These measures may include, without limitation: proper ventilation, use of proper lamps, wearing of protective clothing and masks, tenting, and proper separation of application areas. For more specific safety procedures, please refer to the Omega Fire Safety Data Sheet. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.