Chicken and Poultry Shed Heat Protection
- Poultry shed in Providence, Florida covered in Super Therm®
- Poultry House Niagara Falls with Super Therm
- Poultry barns with Super Therm, Canada
- Super Therm over Poultry Barns
Super Therm® can protect chickens in many ways.
As recommended by Poultry Houses: A Guide To Designs, Systems, Sizes & Structures – from the Big Book Project, heat is proving to be one of the major issues facing chicken farmers and chicken growth in Australia.
The idea is that the poultry housing provides the following benefits for the chicken (which the chicken couldn’t have gained otherwise in it’s natural environment):
- Solar Heat block management
- Consideration to relative to solar heat transfer into the building from exposed roofs or sidewalls. Pullet-rearing areas should always be located upwind from adult birds.
- More efficient solar heat transfer
PROJECT: Super Therm® on Poultry Houses
- Fact: Reduced attic temperature by 16.7°c (30° F)
- Benefit: Death rate of chickens dropped by 75%
- Fact: Chickens were heavier at the end of growth season
- Benefit: more case value per bird
- Fact: Current insulation materials become loaded with moisture form condensation and must be replaced every 5 years. Super Therm® eliminated condensation and will perform for 20 years without concern for reinsulation
- Benefit: Saves the cost of reinsulation 4 times over 20 years of the life of the house, insulation materials and labour savings. Example
Super Therm® applied to the roof of a 1485 m2 poultry house in Providence, Florida. Super Therm® was used to coat the chicken sheds to reduce interior temperature, eliminate condensation and it can perform for 15 years without re-insulation. Super Therm® reduces attic temperatures by 16°C (30°F), which helps to reduce the death rate of chickens by 75% > Learn More >
By Sandy Ueffing, Agricultural Sales Representative for Superior Performance Coatings, distributor Eastern Canada. I am writing as I have a great deal of knowledge on the use of Super Therm® on poultry barns as I have overseen the coating of several poultry barns with Super Therm®. I worked for several years in the poultry feed industry before moving on to Superior Performance Coatings, so I have gained different insights from producers > Learn More >
Super Therm® applied to the roof of a 1850 m2 poultry house in Niagara Falls Canada, to help reduce the temperature. Traditional insulation material being used in the houses become loaded with moisture from condensation and must be replaced every 5 years and potentially causing corrosion under insulation (CUI). Super Therm® coated houses eliminate condensation and will perform for 20 years without concern for reinsulation. Super Therm® reduces the HEAT ISLAND EFFECT > Learn More >
We did test with Gagle Foods which is a large Chicken farm. We coated a test building with Super Therm® and reduced the temperature inside the barn by 28°F during the summer. So, during the summer, we could stabilize the heat and the chickens ate more and gained weight faster. Then they checked the interior temperature during the winter months. What was found was that the body heat from the chickens was not lost through the seams of the metal roofing because the Super Therm® had sealed it and as the metal warmed, the heat did not escape from the metal as fast. Whereby, the body heat was captured inside the poultry barn to the point that the heat never was used through the winter months > Learn More >